HarperDB Slack Community Guidelines
HarperDB Community Code of Conduct
This Slack Channel is for all HarperDB users as a place to discuss HarperDB topics, tips, features, and to stay up to date with the HDB Community. Feel free to jump in, introduce yourself, tell us what you’re working on and how you plan to use the software! (While we are excited to have open discussion with our community, we ask that bugs and software issues still be reported through Zendesk so that they can be managed accordingly.)
The current admins are:
- Kaylan Stock
- Margo McCabe
We want this to be a fun, pleasant, and harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
As a reminder, this is a private, invitation-only Slack channel for HarperDB users of all kinds. If you wish to nominate someone for membership, please contact the admins (before you speak to the person you wish to invite).
Please keep what’s said in HarperDBCommunity confidential. Don’t repeat or quote things said here without the affirmative consent of the speaker(s).
Please be mindful that things you say here may at some point become public. While we expect members to honor the confidentiality of this space, we cannot guarantee that they will do so–nor can we guarantee that every member’s login credentials and logged-in devices are secure. Please exercise caution and refrain from sharing sensitive information that could harm you or others if it became public.
Because this is a free slack account, we have restricted scrollback, but Slack–the company–retains complete logs of all channels and direct messages back to the creation of HarperDB Community. Slack is a U.S. company and therefore subject to subpoenas from U.S. courts. Our logs may be subject to subpoena and could become public as part of legal proceedings.
With the free HarperDB Community workspace, users will only be able to see the 10,000 most recent messages at a given time.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they’re not appropriate
- Simulated physical contact (e.g. textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the admins. They’ll respond as promptly as they can.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the admins may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from this slack and identifying the participant publicly as someone about whom we’ve received complaints.
Credits and License:
This code of conduct is based on Annalee Flower Horne’s Sample Slack Code of Conduct, which is in turn based on Geek Feminism’s Community Anti-Harassment Policy. We have adapted the Sample Slack Code of Conduct for our own use under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License.